Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 3

Is it even day 3? I'm beginning to lose track already! It feels as though we have already been here for a month because we have done so much, but I'm not complaining.
Yesterday we went to a mall that was on steroids called "The Dundrums" it was so overwhelming and I was still tired from the trip in so I couldn't really be excited and realize what was going on (Mom & Dad be thankful :)). And later that night we went to a place called Luigis and it was so obvious that we were unwanted. The service was terrible and our waiter completely ignored us for the entire time we were there. He forgot things and took 20 minutes to get us our check after we asked for it. Just the atmosphere of the place was unwelcoming. I thought we should have left him an American penny as a tip. Take that!! Then we went to a popular tourist/local bar called The Temple Bar and it was great, the atmosphere was happy and fun and the bar itself was incredible, when we first walked in we thought the space was pretty small but then we realized it turned into a HUGE space with a bar on the other side. They played live music which was incredible, it was eighties American music and traditional irish music as well, fantastic. AND they have raw oysters, so we are definitely going back (Dad).
Today was amazing, I don't know if I'm going to be able to describe it to you all, so I'll also post pictures. We went on a bus tour with the most amazing guide, Tony, an irishmen for the north of dublin. He took us up into the mountains to the villages of Wicklow and Glendalough. The views were breathtaking, if you close your eyes right now and picture Ireland countryside it is EXACTLY what you are thinking. Beautiful rolling hills, looks like a leprechaun threw up it's so green. It was like nothing I had ever seen and we as a group decided there is nothing landscape wise that we would ever see that would ever match those sights.
We stopped in a cute village and ate some amazing home made food, fresh goulash and irish soda bread, and mom you know that I HATE goulash, but I ate every last bite of this one, absolutely delicious :)
The Glendalough Monastery we visited was interesting in its collective, deep history. Monks who came to this place to completely isolate themselves from the outside world to learn and and surround themselves with the teachings of the bible. The grave stones were old and beautiful, with a huge tower right in the middle of the land that used to be a hiding place against intruders. Loved the richness of the entire place.
We also saw Bono's house, Van Morrison (Brown Eyed Girl) and an amazing bay with dolphins swimming in it, our guide could not have been more excited. He called probably eight people to tell them about it, even the news, "hello news, yes this is Tony". He was such a character. On our way back I was nodding on and off because I am still tired haha. Hopefully after this week I'll finally be on Irish time. But we came home and decided to have a family dinner so we cooked pasta with chicken and veggies, delicious. I love the people that I am on this trip with, they are looking for the same experiences that I am from Ireland.
Well once again procrastination has gotten the best of me, I have two journals due on Friday and have I started them yet? Of course not. But tomorrow definitely, because right now my bed is looking so comfortable it's ridiculous.
I miss everyone at home, family, friends and of course Andrew James :). I love you all so so much!!
Love from an exhausted, happy girl <3







1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! What made the goulash so good I wonder? Just learned yesterday that I used to have a great uncle that lived in Dublin...we have family roots there as well on the Holdship side of my family. Keep enjoying yourself and soaking it all in!

    ReplyDelete